Friday, December 14, 2012

A Necessary Detour


I began this day with the intention of writing a very different blog. However, events today have made me decide that I should address a very different topic.  Today is Dec 14th, a day on which someone decided that murdering a classroom full of innocent kindergarten child in an elementary school in Newtown, CT would somehow make his life and death more noticeable.  There were adults killed as well, but the death of all those young children remains the focus.

At this time, no motive has been put forward.  And even if the police found an apparent motive, what would justify the murder of all those innocent children?  Of course in the New Testament, we hear of King Herod who gave orders to slay all the young boys of Bethlehem to try to make sure that the newborn King of the Jews was not alive to challenge him for his throne. 

But that was then, and this is too much in our present. I know this has nothing to do with our German heritage.  I will return to that in my next blog.  But for now, I would ask that you all join me in prayer for those children, their families and classmates who will need our prayers to recover from the horrors of this day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment